Thursday, March 09, 2006

Fabulousy Felted!

Doing a little jig for the felting process! I think it turned out nice. Michaela says it's the cutest thing I've ever made (qualified with 'I wouldn't carry it') so it must look alright - she's the fashion guru of the cottage.

Speaking of the cottage - this pic is taken on one of the many rock-themed items in the yard. I took the advice of a CP-er who recommends using natural lighting to photograph one's work and thought this background would highlight the method of felting. Gives it an outdoorsy quality, eh?

About the bag, the off-white yarn did not felt as well as the darker colors (which I had presumed would happen because of the dyeing process of lighter yarns.) But I like that it has a different texture. The textured handle and upper blue portion (woven stitch) made interesting felt qualities which I love. So I will try unique stitches again in the felting process.

While it was in the washer I could hardly stand to leave it alone. I ran it through three times on hot. I agitated it with towels which I think helped it with the friction needed. And, yes, definitely love to felt so you will see more of this in the future! Posted by Picasa

11 comments:

Ronnie Anderson said...

That turned out beautifully. I love the colors you chose. I love felting as well, I've just started getting some new wool!

Anonymous said...

I love it! I am going to have to try that. Totally cool.

Deb said...

Oooo, I love it Tina!!!! Most excellent!!! ( my b'day is April 10 ;-) )

Kimberly said...

The bag felted very nicely.

I like the way the white yarn didn't felt as much. It gives the bag an exta texture.

Anonymous said...

Wow that is amazing!! Makes me want to try now!

Anonymous said...

Tina, your bag is beautiful! It inspires me!!
Gail

Anonymous said...

okay, that is totally cool, Tina!
now we need another bazaar so we can showcase your felting (not to be confused with the past-tense grammatically incorrect use of 'felt') talents!
i love reading your comments about the science of wool. it's so funny. (and i don't mean that in a mean way!) :)

Anonymous said...

LJ asks why you don't boil it instead of running it through the washer?

Ginny said...

It's terrific Tina!! I know what you mean, I'm hooked on feltingnow too!

Norma said...

I SOOOO want to make a felted bag...some day when I can justify the purchase of some beautiful wool yarn. That really came out great! Have fun showing it off!

Anonymous said...

So pretty. The colors are just perfect.